The third Hair and Health Symposium will take place Monday, June 6, 2022, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in person at La Luna, 60 Browns Race in Rochester. Hosted by a group of barbers and stylists trained as community health educators, the event is sponsored by Common Ground Health, Rochester Regional Health and the Get it Done Initiative.
During the event, attendees will hear from the following speakers:
· Keynote speaker Dr. Nana Duffy, M.D., a dermatologist at Rochester Regional Health – and a pioneer in epidemiology and dermatology in African American communities – will address the effects of stress on people’s skin and scalp.
· Kerry Graff, M.D., family medicine specialist at Rochester Regional Health, will discuss the benefits of plant-based eating and a healthy lifestyle.
· Linda Clark, M.D., chief medical officer at Common Ground Health, will talk about the impact of COVID-19.
· Carl Binger, LMHC, clinician with Luminance Mental Health Counseling, will discuss mental health support during the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
· Salon owners Sandy McCrea and Debbie Wise will talk about Black beauty standards and natural hair.
“There is a strong connection between people’s health and their hair, from the effects of stress on the scalp and skin, to diet and nutrition,” said Jackie Dozier, community health and well-being program manager at Common Ground Health. “This symposium will provide an opportunity for area residents to learn how health affects their hair and to hear from barbers and stylists about how they promote health. Common Ground Health is pleased to partner with Rochester Regional Health on this event.”
Pre-registration is required for the free event, which includes a light breakfast and lunch. People can register online at Commongroundhealth.org/hair22 or by calling Jackie Dozier at Common Ground Health at 585.224.3109. Masks and proof of COVID-19 vaccination are required to attend.
About Common Ground Health
Founded in 1974, Common Ground is the health research and planning organization for the Rochester-Finger Lakes region. We bring together leaders from health care, education, business, government and other sectors to find common ground on health challenges. Learn more at www.commongroundhealth.org.
About the Get it Done Initiative
A program of Common Ground Health, the Get it Done Initiative promotes health equity and addresses healthy blood pressure levels in barbershops and beauty salons in communities of color.
What: Hair and Health Symposium
When: Monday, June 6, 2022, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Where: La Luna, 60 Browns Race, Rochester