As the PHIP technical advisor to the Department of Health, Common Ground Health provides consulting to assist DOH and the 10 other PHIP contractors across the state to introduce a collaborative approach to solving regional health challenges.
PHIP data portal
We host a web-based analytic tool that allows PHIP contractors to analyze SPARCS data – the Department of Health’s comprehensive reporting system on hospitalizations, emergency room visits, diagnoses, services and other hospital use. For example, PHIP contractors can use the tool to explore the incidence of illnesses, such as heart attack, stroke or opioid overdose, looking for trends over times and checking for disparities based on geography, age, sex, socio-economic status and race/ethnicity.
Research and analytics webinars
We partner with the Department of Health on monthly webinars showcasing best practices around data collection for health. Topics include trainings on New York State’s all payer database (SPARCS) and SUNY Buffalo’s innovative work on asset mapping.
Common Ground Health and DOH provide technical assistance to the other PHIPs around strategies for getting their region engaged in collaborative health improvement. Topics include recruiting decision makers, managing chronic diseases and creating Community Health Improvement Plans and other health assessments.
Common Ground Health brings together hospital systems, health insurers, county health departments, physician groups, consumers and other partners to review data and design community-wide solutions. Recent health roundtables we have hosted include:
- The Regional Consortium on Health Care Workforce, which is working to identify the new skills and educational opportunities needed over the next decade in health care.
- The Food, Farms and Health initiative, which aims to address the region’s high level of food insecurity and poor nutrition amidst an abundance of fruit and vegetable farms.
- Southern Tier Alliance, which provides high level health planning focused on Chemung, Schuyler and Steuben counties.
Data is the cornerstone of community health planning. We maintain the most complete source of health and health care data in the region and provide the expertise in population-based analytics needed to make sense of that information.
Regional and county health measures
Common Ground Health supports New York State’s Prevention Agenda, which aims to prevent chronic disease, promote healthy environments and support maternal and child health, among other public health goals. Recent population health efforts include:
- Healthi Kids, an initiative that works with parents, students, teachers and community members to advocate for physical activity and unstructured play through daily school recess, more inviting play spaces in neighborhoods and safer walking routes to schools.
- High Blood Pressure Collaborative, which aims to prevent stroke, heart attack, kidney failure and other complications of hypertension through initiatives in community and clinical settings. The program includes innovative interventions in faith communities and barbershops and salons, and maintains the high blood pressure registry with clinical data from more than 60 percent of patients with hypertension.
- Medicaid reform (DSRIP). Common Ground Health is assisting this intense regional effort by serving on steering committees, partnering on planning for workforce needs and assisting with consumer engagement and cultural competency.