Locations: Rochester, NY
Position Title: Data Analyst
Department: Research and Analytics
Reports To: Director of Analytics
Status: Exempt: Full-Time (preferred, but open to Part-Time)
Manages Others: no
Posting Date: 4/26/23
Founded in 1974, Common Ground Health is one of the nation’s oldest and most effective regional health planning organizations. Located in Rochester’s Neighborhood of the Arts, the nonprofit serves the nine-county Finger Lakes region. We bring together leaders from health care, education, business, government and other sectors to find common ground on health challenges. Using the region's most comprehensive health data, together we hammer out strategies for better care, smarter spending and healthier people. Through all of these activities, Common Ground Health seeks to promote population health improvement and reduce health care disparities in the Finger Lakes region.
The Data Analyst leverages a combination of technical and analytic skills to develop and implement solutions to make a wide variety of data easily accessible for analysis and reporting. This position reports to the Director of Analytics and plays a critical role to support the work of the Research & Analytics (R&A) team and the broader Common Ground Health organization.
The key overarching role of the Data Analyst is to enable the R&A team to efficiently access the data they need. More specifically, this means a variety of responsibilities including: ensuring SQL data tables are well-structured and up-to-date; writing reusable modifiable scripts that can be used by colleagues; performing ad hoc queries, especially to support more complex data needs; and, identifying and leveraging various data tools to enhance team access to data.
The ideal candidate has the ability to support a diverse set of tasks, requests and technologies and will function as a resource for all research analysts within the organization. Additionally, the Data Analyst will play a critical role in the design and implementation of new datasets, execute proof of concepts for the evaluation of new tools and technologies related to data management, and will provide input into the overall strategic direction of Common Ground Health’s data platform.
It is Common Ground Health’s intention that employees receive training/professional development necessary to achieve the development of skills, knowledge, abilities, and attitudes related to their job duties and individual development, and to the overall agency and its work plan deliverables. The Data Analyst will demonstrate a commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Common Ground Health.
• Identify and implement database structure and table enhancements that support the organization’s analytic and reporting needs
• Provide ad hoc data and query support to R&A team
• Create and maintain library of SQL scripts to support standard needs of R&A team
• Design and execute ETL processes for new and existing projects and data streams
• Build systematic reporting for community health metrics
• Identify and implement opportunities to leverage current and new technologies to facilitate and enhance the data work of the R&A team
• Develop and implement quality control procedures and protocols to ensure accuracy and validity of collected and stored data
• Ensure data documentation (e.g., data dictionaries, entity relationship diagrams) are up-to-date
• Deep expertise writing SQL queries and stored procedures (preferably in MS SQL Server environment)
• Ability to self-manage key aspects of data projects – gather and document requirements; develop and implement project plan; validate solution and results.
• Investigative orientation and critical thinking skills to identify and troubleshoot issues with reporting accuracy, data quality, and underlying data structures.
• Ability and interest to quickly learn and use new data tools and technologies
• Ability to partner with technical and non-technical colleagues to identify improvement opportunities (e.g., data accessibility, reporting, quality)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• A customer service orientation and approach to the management of data and technical issues as they arise
• The ability to work effectively on multiple complex projects simultaneously and maintain flexibility to adapt to a changing environment
• At least 5 years of experience in a similar position managing and analyzing very large data sets in SQL environment.
• BA/BS in relevant discipline such as computer science, data science, or business analytics. A combination of experience and education will be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Experience with SSIS and ETL processes using Microsoft SQL tools and technologies.
• Experience with MS SQL Server 2014/2019, Tableau, ArcGIS and MS Office products desired.
• Development experience in Python, R, or Java desired.
• Experience with Microsoft Azure or AWS database and storage technologies desired.
• Experience using web based video conferencing systems such as Zoom required.
• Must be able to work remotely.
• Ability and willingness to travel locally, as needed.
• Sits for long periods. Works long hours on a computer. Uses a keyboard. Reads printed materials or from a computer monitor.
• Occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those requirements and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive salaries and a wide range of benefits such as: medical, dental and vision insurance; a generous time off package along with paid holidays; a 403(b) retirement plan with an employer contribution, employer paid benefits such as life insurance, short and long-term disability and a flexible and friendly work environment.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org